Bangkitlah Kaum Buruh & Petani
Menentang Ekstremis & Hipokrits!
~ faisal mustaffa online ~
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Bar Council Public Forum -- The DNA Bill: Do We Need It?
(Admission is free)
The DNA Identification Bill 2008 was tabled in Parliament in August and hailed as a beneficial and necessary tool to prevent and fight crime more effectively. However, the Bill drew criticism as well, including concerns that it does not contain adequate legal safeguards, would place excessive powers in the hands of the police and the relevant Minister, would punish those who refuse to provide DNA samples and would infringe on privacy rights.
This forum brings together an array of speakers who will present their viewpoints on various aspects of the Bill, followed by a question-and- answer session.
1. Dr. Koh Chong Lek, Fellow, Academy of Sciences Malaysia, and Head, DNA Centre @ NIE, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2. Dr. Jeyakumar Devaraj (medical doctor and PSM Member of Parliament for Sg. Siput)
3. Tommy Thomas (legal practitioner)
4. Dato’ V. Sithambaram (legal practitioner)
5. A speaker from the Forensics Division of the Royal Malaysian Police (to be confirmed)
Details of event:
Monday, 13 October 2008
Bar Council Auditorium
13, 15 & 17 Leboh Pasar Besar
50050 Kuala Lumpur